Monday, January 15, 2007

Hip-Hop - Form vs Substance

I know, I know. What de hell someone called "Trini" doing writing a post about Hip Hop? Well, being "Caribbean-American" (as much as I HATE politically correct labels, it is one I am forced to adopt given the present circumstances...but that is for another "discussion") puts me in a unique position to appreciate the relevance of all sorts of musical expression within the African Diaspora. That said, I (along with every other living, breathing person that appreciates this genre of music) have a few grievances with not only what is has become in the scheme of things, but also in the minds of its listeners and naysayers alike. The principal grievance is simply how people have come to define hip-hop.
A couple disclaimers:
1. I do not claim to know the exact origins of hip-hop. What I do know is simply hearsay from more informed sources (namely, my sister who did a research project on this matter).
2. I am not going to give any history lessons except what is already common knowledge (e.g references to the TransAtlantic Slave Trade, or what I'd like to call "The end of humanity as we know it"
The way people have come to know hip-hop is (summing it up in my own words) a degenrate form of music which promotes violence, mysogyny, materialism, and just plain foolishness - such promotion being further encouraged by "the powers that be" to continually, if not permanently, supress the elevation of the black race. Now, there is some truth to this statement, except for one key thing - hip-hop is NOT to blame!! Yes, it has become a marketable franchise through which such negativity is broadcast. Yes, there are negative images of black men and women. Yes, all these so-called artistes are blabbing about are nice clothes, cars and other material things. However, it is not the genre itself CAUSING this problem. It is merely a channel, a convenient means through which certain members of an age/ethnic group can be easily targeted to promote these self-destructive ideals. Hip-hop, when used, and not ABUSED, is a beautiful thing, just like sex, prescription drugs, sweets and the like. It is one of many genres of human musical expression, which can relay creativity as well as destruction. I am so sick and tired of people alluding only the negative to this beautiful form of music. I love hip-hop. I love the melodies, clever rhymes and socially constructive subject matter which spawned it. I love the artistes (with TALENT and something worthwhile to say) that continually nurture it with positivity, newness, freshness and, above all, LOVE!
In my humble opinion, to truly love music is to embrace all genres - hip-hop, alternative, rock, ska, reggae, dub, calypso, soca.... all! Exploring all these beautiful varieties of an art form which excites the senses while attempting to explain the essence of our existence is also part of the adventure of discovering oneself, and to judge a genre of music as "degenerate" and allude all that is negative about a race to it is to sell oneself short. (I hope that last bit made sense).
All in all, while I do believe that hip-hop has gone a long way off track, it is NOT dead - it's just being ignored. There are still people out there who promote positivity, love between a black man and a black woman, creativity and the like. It is not the music "the powers that be" are selling - it is a mindset. Don't blame hip-hop for violence, mysogyny and ignorace. These forces were present waaaay before hip-hop was even conceived. Ah done.

1 comment:

ban-d-wagonist said...

beautiful post from an amatuer... i too don't think its dead... just misguided