Saturday, February 17, 2007

The Unexpected...

I hate Valentine's Day with a passion. I think it is such a pretentious excuse for draining people's wallets for the sake of various companies' last frantic dash to meet fiscal sale-figures. Okay, as far-fetched as that was, my resolve is only strengthened by the annual exchange of annoying clichés-of-romantic-gestures such as chocolates in heart-shaped boxes, flowers, teddy bears with magnets in their noses so that when they connect they "kiss" (oh please! Instead of spit they might as well be swapping snat - sorry I had to say it), and so on. That said, this Valentine's was no exception - well, that's how it started. I was so far removed from all notions of "romance", and I was certain I would end up having dinner with mom that night. Things turned out quite differently.
There's a guy friend that I was limin with for the past couple of days and by V-day I have grown to enjoy his company quite a bit. Apparently, the feeling was mutual because he asked me to go to dinner with him - in a Chinese restaurant within walking distance of our respective houses. Well, the whole time, we were just laughing, talking, laughing, eating.... just having a good, down-to-earth, un-pretentious time. Long before the evening was over, I told him that this was the most fun V-day I ever had. His response - "That's sad." Now that's what I'm talking about!
Honesty, NO cheesiness!!!! Oh, and was there a kiss at the end of the night? Nope. That's because I was still far removed from all notions of "romance." I just knew that what we had was completely, and mutually, platonic. Sure, we have been aware of each other's existence for about 8 years (he was more friends with my sis) and I always thought he was cool, but we never really hung out like that before. We discovered that we are, well, two peas in a pod (so much for not being cheesy). In short, we just clicked. The next night, at the TRIBE fete, things got a bit, well, hotter. We were drinking, dancing and having fun (as usual), then, dry so, ended up making out. We've been lovey-dovey ever since. But I guess that's what Carnival does to you. However, I know that this newfound connection is deeper than that, and I also know that though I've been dreading my departure date long before arrival, this, um, romance will certainly make that departure all the more heartbreaking...

2 comments:

Trinidad Carnival Diary said...

A Carnival hook up story!! LOL. Girl, been there, enjoy it while it lasts :D

Good news is that my friend who hooked up with his now girl friend last Carnival is now in the US in school and with her :D

Unknown said...

....."guy friend u say" lucky guy...